A scrum master is a professional who is responsible for exchanging information between team members . The team uses the Scrum framework that enables them to communicate, perform tasks and make changes in the projects according to the Agile practices and principles. A scrum master is a coordinator for an Agile development team.
The Professional Scrum Master (PSM™) Certification is a credential that is given to scrum masters after passing the PSM™ exam. This certification shows that the person has knowledge of the Scrum framework and ensures that the team uses the scrum principles to complete the projects. Also, this certification acts as proof that the scrum masters can lead the Agile teams successfully.
To earn the PSM™ certification, interested candidates have to join the Professional Scrum Master Training program. In this program, they will learn about the Agile practices and Scrum framework and how to use them while working on the projects.
Here are some of the responsibilities of the Professional Scrum Master.
- Helping the team members to complete the daily targets on a given deadline following the Scrum framework.
- Helping the team to follow every rule and stay focused while performing the tasks.
- Overcoming the obstacles that are coming in the way of the team’s progress.
- Managing and helping the team so that they do not get distracted.
- Assuring that product backlog items are managed efficiently.
What Are the Steps to Get the PSM™ I Certification?
With the PSM™ I Certification, candidates can strengthen their knowledge of Scrum concepts and processes. To earn this certification, they have to follow the given steps:
- Get the training – Join a training center that is a Professional Training Network (PTN) member of Scrum.org. Register for the PSM™ course and attend the training program.
- Clear the exam – A link will be provided by Scrum.org. after completion of the course. By clicking this link, candidates will be able to give the examination. The exam will be for one hour and they have to score 85% to pass the exam.
- Get the certification –After passing the exam, the candidates will be provided with the PSM Certificate.
If you are interested in the Professional Scrum Master Training, there are no such eligibility criteria for joining the course program. If candidates have the basic knowledge of scrum, it will help them during their training sessions. But all the candidates don’t need to have scrum knowledge.
The individual professionals who can attend the PSM™ training can be candidates who are interested in learning agile and scrum frameworks. Moreover, it could be team members, Scrum masters, Project managers, Developers, Scrum team members, Product owners, Developers, Product managers, Software architects, Software development managers, Software testers, Software developers, and Software coders.
What are the learning goals of the PSM I Course?
The candidates will learn the following from the PSM I Course:
- The framework of Scrum–Professionals will learn the processes and concepts of the scrum framework and will know about the role of the scrum master.
- Candidates will understand the meaning of product increment and learn to evaluate the work on product increment.
- Completing a scrum project –The masters will gain knowledge about how to use tools and techniques to complete a scrum project.
- Working with Scrum teams –Candidates will understand the complexities of working with teams and how to manage team members while working on a project.
- Introducing Scrum in the organization –The learners will be able to introduce the Scrum framework in the organization.
- The responsibility of a scrum master – Candidates will get to know the roles and responsibilities of the scrum master and understand the meaning of leadership.
What Skills Are Earned Through the PSM™ Training?
By attending the PSM course online, candidates will get the following skills:
- Facilitation skills
- Value creation
- Boosting team performance
- Managing and leading changes
- Supporting the organization
- Guiding the development team
- Implementing scrum framework
- Enabling product increment
- Resolving obstructions
What Best Practices Candidates will Learn in the PSM™ Training?
- Communicating with stakeholders – Scrum Masters will be able to negotiate with stakeholders while creating a product backlog. They can together deliver the best product to the customers.
- Building the best team – A cohesive team works faster and better, therefore, scrum masters should use team-building techniques to improve cooperation among the team members.
- Utilizing time wisely – Working six hours a day and keeping two hours aside for risk management helps to finish the projects on time. By this methodology, scrum masters get time to prepare themselves for unexpected circumstances.
- Do not mix sprint backlog and product backlogs – The sprint backlog can be used at any time while the product backlog is updated regularly. Hence, scrum masters should not combine them.
- Invest in the best quality software – Scrum Masters should invest and use tools that are of high quality and built for agile teams. These tools will help in project management, tracking time, and measuring metrics.
- Using Planning Poker – Planning poker is the best and easy-to-use estimation technique that helps scrum masters in planning and estimating. Precise and double estimates can be achieved with this method.
- Set guidelines and improve remote communication – It becomes difficult to communicate if teams are distributed to different areas or people are working from home. The chances of missing important information can increase. Therefore, scrum masters should set up protocols for remote communication. By doing this, the chances of missing out on any information can be reduced.
Implementing an agile workflow requires lots of strategizing and planning, therefore, the right mindset, approach, and good quality tools can help do this. With the help of the PSM™ Certification, candidates will learn the Scrum framework and can become Scrum masters. These scrum masters can enable organizations to deliver the best product to their clients using scrum practices and principles.
Too simple of an intro. [BP1]